Emergency dentistry is the practice of providing dental treatment to those who are in urgent need of it. Situations that demand immediate oral health care can arise from a number of things including sustaining an impact while playing sports or biting down too hard on a piece of food.
If you’re unsure whether you should seek out an emergency dentist in West Edmonton, noted below is a list of some signs and symptoms that you should keep an eye out for – and if any of them have begun to appear or you’re currently dealing with them already, it’s best to visit a dentist near you as soon as you can.
- Severe pain. This usually comes in the form of a persistent toothache.
- Foreign debris is lodged between your teeth, and you can’t remove it.
- Consistent bleeding or the flow of blood has thickened.
- Your dental prosthetic has fallen out. Examples include a filling, bridge, or crown.
- A fever.
- Continually bad breath.
- Pus and/or infection.
- A tooth’s been knocked out.
- Swelling, irritation, or redness.
- A chipped/cracked tooth.
What Does an Emergency Dental Appointment Look Like?
To reiterate, if you need immediate dental treatment, the very first thing you need to do is go to a dental clinic nearby. Once you’ve arrived, you’ll most likely have to fill out some paperwork (especially if you’re a new patient) that documents your situation and whether you have insurance.
Unfortunately, you may not be able to see a dentist in West Edmonton right away; dental emergencies are dealt with in a similar fashion to other health emergencies at the hospital. The dentist will do their best to get through each case in a timely fashion.
When it’s your turn, your dentist will ask what happened; be sure to tell them as much as you can so they can develop a clear picture of what’s going on. They’ll perform a comprehensive examination of your mouth and take x-rays from different angles too. Once they’ve identified the best way to remedy your smile, your dentist will get to work.
In lots of cases, patients will have to return for a follow-up appointment so that the rest of their treatment can be carried out and so their dentist can ensure that everything is going smoothly. Examples include needing a new dental prosthetic or a root canal.
Should you have questions or concerns at all about the process, don’t be afraid to let your dentist know; dental emergencies are already stressful, so you deserve to be kept as comfortable as possible throughout the whole appointment.
What are the Advantages of Emergency Dentistry?
Recipients of emergency dentistry experience many benefits when they visit a dental office for treatment. These include:
- It prevents the development of other infections and stops current ones from spreading elsewhere in your mouth or throughout your body.
- Addresses pain and sensitivity.
- Short wait times. There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to see a dentist immediately, but they know how important it is to deliver care as soon as possible; they’ll work hard to see you in a very timely manner.
- Repairs the aesthetic and functionality of your entire smile.
- Your comfort is a priority. Your dentist will take steps to ensure that you’re relaxed and looked after the whole time. This may include providing sedation dentistry.
- It’s effective!
- You don’t need to book an appointment or be a regular patient. Most, if not all, dental practices will help anyone who needs it.
Need Reliable Dental Care? Come See Us at Aldergrove Dental Clinic!
If you need emergency dentistry near you, we highly encourage you to come in and see our team here at Aldergrove Dental. We offer an extensive range of treatments to help restore and improve the appearance and function of your smile. After all, it’s better to play it safe as opposed to ignoring a potentially serious issue. Our dentists, hygienists, and administration staff will do all they can to make sure your treatment is tailored to meet your unique needs.
Call us today!